Mindfulness has been a very hot topic in the past few years, and with good reason! It has many important applications, more specifically, we will talk about how a little bit of mindfulness and meditation every day can help improve concentration and cognitive abilities!
But wait, what is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is the recognition and the awareness of our thoughts, feelings and surrounding environment. Additionally, when we are mindful we are accepting. To be accepting is to recognize and appreciate our sensations at the present moment rather than focusing on what we feel at a later time.
What can mindfulness meditation do for me?
When we practice mindfulness meditation just for 10 minutes a day, we essentially improve our ability to both concentrate and keep information active in our brains.
How can I try mindfulness meditation to see if it works for me?
One of the amazing things about mindfulness meditation is that it is super easy to do!
- Take a seat – in a comfortable place that feels calm and quiet to you.
- Set a time limit – for a start, try 5 minutes or 10 minutes (as this article recommends).
- Notice your body – make sure you are sitting or kneeling in a position in which you feel stable and comfortable.
- Feel your breath – notice the sensation of your breath as you inhale and exhale.
- Notice when your mind has wandered – When your mind wanders, take notice of this and return back to paying attention to your breath.
- Be kind to yourself! Don’t be harsh on yourself because your mind has wandered and don’t judge the content of what made your mind wander! Instead, just come back and focus on your breath.
Where can I Find a Psychotherapist That can Help learn about Mindfulness?
Here at The Beach Psychotherapy, we are well equipped to work together to improve your state of mind and to help you become more mindful. Please feel free to contact Spring Berriman at 647-296-9235 to set aside some time to talk so that you too can find the right therapist.